Giving advice to your friends and family can help them out of sticky situations, but are you sure the advice you’re giving is accurate? Thanks to the internet, word-of-mouth, and old wives’ tales, misinformation can spread like wildfire, especially when it comes to skin-related topics. While there’s plenty of accurate information about skin care and dermatology available to the public through a number of sources, there’s also plenty out there that simply isn’t true. To protect you and your loved ones from following the wrong skin care advice, we’ve taken the top five skin care myths we’re tired of hearing about and debunked them!
- You Don’t Have to Wear Sunscreen on a Cloudy Day
This is one of the more frustrating myths that makes its way around and it’s one of the more dangerous ones to believe. Despite cloud cover, the sun’s powerful UV rays can still reach you down on Earth. Sure, the sun is more powerful and can burn you much faster on a sunny day, but spending lots of time outside on a cloudy day can also be harmful to your skin. Clouds only block about 20% of the sun’s UV rays, which means the other 80% can reach your skin. It’s a good idea to apply some degree of SPF every day to your face and areas of your skin that will be exposed to sunlight. Cloudy days are no exception, especially if you will be out in the sun for an extended period of time. Always do what you can to protect your skin from the sun, even if it’s the middle of winter! If you have concerns about your skin and overcast weather, talk with Dr. Krant for more information on sunscreen application and protection.
- You Don’t Need Moisturizer If You Have Oily Skin
Even if you can’t stand the oils on your skin, you still need some degree of oil and moisture to keep your face looking and feeling healthy. Many cleansers and products can strip away some of these oils, so that layer of oil will need to be replenished to keep your skin from drying out. Moisturizers are helpful for all skin types, even if you are yearning to have less moisture on your face. Moisturizers keep the skin hydrated, nourished, and balanced, making them an essential part of anyone’s daily skincare regimen. When looking for a moisturizer for oily skin, be sure to consult Dr. Krant on the best brands or types for you.
- The More It Burns the Better It’s Working
You may have heard the term “beauty is pain”, but this isn’t the best motto to live by when it comes to applying products to your face. Just as a burning sensation is never a great feeling on other parts of your body, it’s especially bad if it’s happening on your face. Some skin care products can cause a tingling sensation, but if the tingling turns into burning or is making your face redder, this is not a good sign. If your products are burning your face, wash them off immediately and schedule a visit with Dr. Krant. Your skin may be too sensitive for the product or you may have a newfound allergy to one of the ingredients. Continuing to use products that burn are going to cause more harm than good and definitely aren’t working to help your skin.
- Your Skin Can Never Be Too Clean
Cleansing your skin is essential in removing dirt and excess oil from the skin, but over-cleansing can actually be harmful. As mentioned earlier, many cleansers strip away the oils your skin needs to stay healthy, so too much cleaning can lead to redness, breakouts, dry skin, and more. Cleansing your skin at least once a day is helpful in keeping your skin clean. If you need to cleanse more than once a day, make sure you are using a gentle cleanser and aren’t scrubbing your face too vigorously. If you think your skin may be harmed from over-cleansing, meet with Dr. Krant to learn more about how to solve this problem.
- Popping Pimples Is the Most Effective Way to Get Rid of Them
Some are grossed out by the extreme pimple popping videos that are circulating around social media, while others can’t wait to try it out the next time they find a zit. Either way, this is not proper pimple removal. Picking at the area and popping the pimple is harmful to your skin and can lead to scarring or infection. If you popped the spot with dirty hands, you run the risk of bacteria infecting the site of the pimple, which can make things worse. If you’re one of those people who love pimple popping, it may be hard to quit, but it will save your skin in the long run. If you are unsure of how to treat pimples, get in touch with Dr. Krant for solutions.
We’ve barely scratched the surface of the myriad of skin care myths that are floating around, but we hope that this puts an end to some of the bad habits you may have picked up over the years. If you know of more myths that you aren’t sure about or have further questions about any of these, schedule a consultation with Dr. Jessica Krant. She will be able to answer your questions and address any skin care concerns you may have!
Leave A Comment