When selecting a dermatologist in New York City, it is important to look for an office with a board-certified dermatologist, and to make sure that is who you are actually seeing for your appointment. Choosing a board-certified dermatologist can ensure that you receive the most accurate diagnosis, the most efficient treatment, and the best cosmetic outcomes. Dermatologists are the only physicians trained to specialize in treating and diagnosing skin, nail, and hair conditions, and the only specialists who are trained specifically in the biology and behavior of the skin. Dermatologists can also perform rejuvenation procedures to reduce signs of aging damaged skin. Dr. Jessica Krant is a highly skilled board-certified dermatologist. Learn more about the importance of scheduling dermatology appointments with a board-certified dermatologist below.
What is the Difference Between a Dermatologist and a Board-Certified Dermatologist?
A board-certified dermatologist has continued her education beyond her medical degree by receiving additional training, education, and testing. This helps her to treat health concerns related to skin, hair, and nail conditions with more efficiency. Board-certified dermatologists also pledge to adhere to the American Board of Medical Specialties Code of Medical Ethics and have taken a pledge of Professionalism with the American Board of Dermatology.
Steps to Certification
- Complete four years of physician medical school *after* four years of college, and be awarded an M.D. (allopathic) or D.O. (osteopathic) degree.
- Take and pass three separate two-day national medical licensing exams (USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3, etc) over a three year period to earn a license to practice medicine in the United States.
- Complete a year-long accredited internship program in general medicine.
- Complete a three-year full-time accredited residency program in dermatology, which means three years of direct patient care in a hierarchical training and supervision hospital program taught by board-certified dermatologists who are attending physicians at the program’s hospitals.
- Complete 10,000 or more hours of this training in residency plus additional training in optional fellowships (Dr. Krant completed a fellowship in Mohs Micrographic Skin Cancer Surgery).
- Pass the American Board of Dermatology Board Certification Exam, to gain the only official credential giving Board Certification in Dermatology. The ABD is under the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) umbrella, which is the only official body that certifies true fully trained medical specialists (as opposed to other bodies such as the ABPS).
- Once Board-Certified in Dermatology, participate in 25-50 hours of continued education in dermatology each year to maintain credentials, which includes attending educational programs, reading journals, and taking subject quizzes.
- Take another dermatology board exam every 10 years or participate in the new ongoing Maintenance of Certification program to maintain board-certified status.
Why You Should Choose a Board-Certified Dermatologist
A board-certified dermatologist has taken additional steps in the dermatology field. This shows their added training, education, and dedication to dermatology. This allows patients to receive a higher level of care for their skin, hair, and nail concerns.
Medical Skin Conditions Board Certified Dermatologists Treat:
- Skin Cancer
About Board Certified Dermatologist Dr. Krant
Dr. Krant is a board-certified dermatologic surgeon with over 20 years of experience in medical and cosmetic dermatologic treatments and procedures. Dr. Krant provides dermatology treatments in NYC including but not limited to:
- Chemical Peels
- Laser Rejuvenation
- Tattoo Removal
- Scar Improvement
- Skin Care
- Skin Cancer Screening
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in dermatology treatments with a board-certified dermatologist, consider scheduling a consultation with Dr. Krant at Art of Dermatology located at the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York. Fill out our online contact form or call 212-488-5599 today to schedule a consultation.
Jessica Krant, M.D., MPH, is a board-certified dermatologist with specialized experience in cosmetic, laser, surgical, and medical dermatology, but above all, Dr. Krant is most proud to be a caring, comprehensive physician who takes the time to listen and send her patients home with a smile.